"Why are taxes so hard for the Average Person"

Monday, February 2, 2009

This morning that is what a co-worker asked me. I personally do not think they are hard, I like them. I like trying to figure out how to bring my AGI down so that I can pay less taxes! It's a bit of a cat and mouse game. I would never ever lie on my taxes and I dont think you should either, but there are ways that are COMPLETELY LEGAL, that bring your AGI down therefore lowering your tax due for the year. Here are some of them:

Deductions, Deductions, Deductions! Find them, use them, make them! You can deduct a portion of medical expenses, home interest paid, personal property taxes paid, sales state tax paid, financial donations...the list really does go on and on.

Skip the standard deduction and go for the Itemized Deduction- its well worth the effort- if you are crafty enough it could reduce your AGI(Ajusted Gross Income) by a lot of money. For example, if you can find $20,000 in deductions, you lower your taxable income by that amount and can save $1000- $2000 on your taxes. (Depending on your tax bracket!)

1 comment:

KarlaK said...

I know I am a little late on commenting:
A week before our taxes were due I gave our accountant a receipt I had for a $100.00 donation made to a missionary. With this single donation I will receive back $15.00 from state and $10.00 from federal. Well worth my time to save receipts!

Post a Comment

 
Christy Glocke. Design by Pocket